Wednesday, March 9, 2011

Weekend Cupcaking

This weekend I experimented with a scrumptious recipe I found on How Sweet It Is: Chocolate Chip Cupcakes with Cookie Dough Frosting... Hello Delicious! I used to bake cupcakes fairly often, but since my beloved KitchenAid has been in storage... I have seriously been slacking!

In our house, I grew up baking chocolate chip cookies; A family tradition that was pasted down from my grandmother. So when I saw this recipe, I thought it was an absolute perfect opportunity to dust off the cupcakes pans and start mixin!


Here is the recipe:
Chocolate Chip Cupcakes
makes 12 cupcakes
1/2 cup butter
1 cup sugar
2 eggs
1 teaspoon vanilla
1 1/2 cups flour
1 teaspoon baking powder
1/2 cup milk
1 cup chocolate chips
Preheat oven to 350.

Cream butter, sugar, and eggs together until fluffy. Add vanilla.
Combine dry ingredients in a bowl. Add half of the dry ingredients, mixing until just combined. Add the milk. Once mixed, add remaining dry ingredients. Add chocolate chips and mix if you’d like them in smaller pieces.
Pour into cupcake tins and bake for 20-25 mins at 350. Let cool, then frost.

And we're off...

I did have a little help along the way... He's the perfect baking assistant with the ultimate sweet tooth!


While the cakes were baking, we whipped the frosting together. In the mixer, the cake and frosting looked very similar: Chocolate chips and lots o' butter!

The frosting recipe:
Cookie Dough Frosting
2 sticks butter, softened
1 1/2 – 2 lbs powdered sugar
1 teaspoon vanilla
1-2 tablespoons sweetened condensed milk
1/2 cup chocolate chips
Mix butter and powdered sugar together, adding sugar gradually to the mix. Add vanilla. Mix in milk, adding more if needed. Continue to add milk and sugar until it reaches the desired consistency. Mix in chocolate chips.


Like the recipe states, I continued to add both sugar and condensed milk to the frosting. I added extra for what I thought was a good consistency and also for taste. It was a little too creamy for me with the measurements listed. But its all personal preference... So mix and taste along the way til you get what you're looking for.

My taste testers were not about to wait for the cooling process. So we indulged on warm cupcakes and melted frosting!


They were absolutely delicious! Enjoy and thank you again to How Sweet It Is!

Happy Baking!

1 comment:

Rebecca said...

These were the best cupcakes I've ever had. Love them